Close Menu
Berlin, Ocean Pines News Worcester County Bayside Gazette Logo Berlin, Ocean Pines News Worcester County Bayside Gazette


Second fire this year strikes home on Snug Harbor

Berlin fire claims life of at least one pet; one missing

Firefighters from more than half a dozen local companies on Monday work to tame a house fire on Snug Harbor Road that claimed the life of one pet and left another missing. No other injuries were reported.

By Josh Davis, Associate Editor

(April 4, 2019) A house fire at 12332 Snug Harbor Road in Berlin on Monday claimed the life of at least one pet and another was missing as of Monday evening.

Berlin Fire Company 3rd Assistant Chief Robert J Rhode said it was unclear whether the homeowners were present when the blaze started, but no other injuries were reported.

Fire alarms sounded just before 1 p.m. on Monday and eight local agencies responded. Rhodes said it took about 40 minutes to control the inferno, and fire and EMS personnel from Berlin, Ocean City, Ocean Pines, Showell, Bishopville, Newark, Willards and Selbyville were dispatched.

“I’m not sure where [the homeowners] were at, at the time of the initial call … but it did not look like they were home at the time,” Rhode said.

“They had two dogs in the house. One did perish in the fire and, at the time I left, the second dog was … missing,” Rhode said. “We’re not sure if it’s still in the house somewhere or if it had gotten out.”

Rhode said the fire was contained to the original structure, adding it appeared the building had been added onto. “There was an attached garage and an extension off the garage as well, [but] it was just one structure that was involved,” he said.

“I wouldn’t say it’s a complete and total loss, but there was significant damage throughout the house,” he added

The cause of the fire was said to be accidental and electrical in nature, according to Worcester County Fire Marshal Jeff McMahon.

This is the second major fire in the neighborhood this year.

According to the Worcester County Fire Marshal’s office, a fire occurred on 12355 Snug Harbor Road on Wednesday, Feb. 20, when heavy damage was done to a second home owned by Susan and Richard Carmine. The home was not occupied at the time of the fire.

One firefighter was taken to AGH with a leg injury and later released, according to a press release from the county fire marshal.

“The cause is listed as accidental and contributed to an electrical malfunction,” the release said.