Ttroopers will monitor suspicious activity in and around the centers, which historically show an increase in criminal activity during the holiday season.
Officers hope to enhance community policing efforts by making contact with citizens, using a proactive approach designed to reduce crime, increase visibility and educate the community on how to be more careful, prepared and aware during the holiday shopping season.
As a reminder, the Maryland State Police would like to provide the following holiday safety tips:
- Keep packages and other valuables in the car trunk and out of sight.
- Avoid carrying large amounts of cash.
- Carry a purse under your arm with the strap across your body.
- Put wallets in an inside pocket of your jacket or front pants pocket.
- Stay alert and be aware of your surroundings at all times.
- If shopping after dark, shop with a friend if possible.
- Always park your car in a well-lit area.
- Always check the interior of your car before you unlock the door to get in.
- Lock your car doors and windows even if you are only gone for a few minutes.