Close Menu
Berlin, Ocean Pines News Worcester County Bayside Gazette Logo Berlin, Ocean Pines News Worcester County Bayside Gazette


Fire leaves seven people homeless

Unattended barbecue grill identified as cause of blaze that leveled family’s home

By Ally Lanasa, Staff Writer

A heavy fire caused by an unattended grill at 8336 Circle Road in Berlin Monday afternoon has left a family of seven homeless.

(Sept. 10, 2020) Firefighters from Berlin, Showell, Bishopville and Willards responded to a fire on Monday at 3:45 p.m. at 8336 Circle Road in Berlin that left seven people homeless.

The single-story home was owned by Burley Collins.

The seven occupants have been temporarily relocated by the American Red Cross.

Chief Deputy Fire Marshal Matthew Owens said no injuries were reported and no other structures were involved or damaged.

Through its investigation, the Worcester County Fire Marshal’s Office has determined the fire was accidental and blamed on the improper use of a barbecue grill. The grill was located on a deck adjacent to the house and left unattended.

Unfortunately, the family did lose its pet rabbit in the fire.

For more information, contact Chief Deputy Fire Marshal Matt Owens at 410-632-5666 Ext. 2.