Close Menu
Berlin, Ocean Pines News Worcester County Bayside Gazette Logo Berlin, Ocean Pines News Worcester County Bayside Gazette



Compensation study approved


By Josh Davis, Associate Editor (March 14, 2019) With the approval of the fiscal 2020 budget, Ocean Pines board members realigned employee health care packages, with employees set to pay 20 percent of costs and the association covering the remaining 80 percent. Previously, the association paid 100 percent of those costs. Association President Doug Parks said… Read more »

Gazette Editorial: Berlin park has little to do with budget woes

BG Logo

New critics of the Town of Berlin’s purchase of the former Tyson chicken processing plant in 2015 are mistaken, when they argue that passing on that purchase would have eliminated the current need for a tax increase and higher sewer and water rates. The property, which was bought for $2.5 million drawn, in part, from… Read more »

Clarifications on Berlin Falls park


By Josh Davis, Associate Editor (March 14, 2019) Berlin Mayor Gee Williams on Tuesday responded to several questions raised about Berlin Falls park during a contentious public meeting Monday evening. As for where money allocated for demolition of several small buildings would come from, Williams replied, “The money is part of a $500,000 balance that purposely… Read more »

Canfora targets Footbridge Trail speeders


By Josh Davis, Associate Editor (March 14, 2019) Ocean Pines resident Susan Canfora has had it with speeders on her street. She has lived on Footbridge Trail, near the south gate, since 1990s and for most of those years, drivers have observed the 25 mph speed limit. The last five years though? Not so much. “When… Read more »

Colon Cancer awareness campaign returns

•colon cancer

By Morgan Pilz, Staff Writer (March 14, 2019) During Colon Cancer Awareness Month, Ocean Pines residents and business owners, Linda and Michael Dearing, are raising awareness and donations in memory of their daughter, Gina Barnes, to help save lives. The owners of Copy Central, on Cathell Road in Ocean Pines, will collect donations for Gina’s Comfort… Read more »

NJROTC earns A-OK grade at inspection


By Josh Davis, Associate Editor (March 14, 2019) An annual military inspection of several dozen Stephen Decatur High School students in Berlin last Thursday resulted in an outstanding report, according to Jennifer Miller. Miller is the booster club secretary for the Navy Junior Reserve Officers Training Corps, or NJROTC. LCDR Dr. Robert C. Stewart, U.S. Navy… Read more »

Outsourcing mgmt. motion passes


By Josh Davis, Associate Editor (March 14, 2019) In discussing what the next Ocean Pines Association management team will look like, board members last Saturday agreed to gather information on outsourcing, but also praised the current team of department heads now running the operational and administrative functions. Early during the meeting, Aquatics and Recreation and Parks… Read more »

Board of zoning appeals request branches out


By Josh Davis, Associate Editor (March 14, 2019) The Berlin Board of Zoning Appeals didn’t go out on a limb, but went out for a limb when members approved a setback variance for two homeowners last Wednesday. After waiting a month because of a continuance, Daniel and Naquelle Jacobs were granted a reduction to the side… Read more »

Berlin Farmer’s Market will swap locations, reopen in May


By Josh Davis, Associate Editor (March 14, 2019) The Berlin’s Farmer’s Market will reopen May 5 in a new location, the corner of Pitts and William streets, where it will wrap around the parking area near J&M Meat Market. Economic and Community Development Director Ivy Wells said the move from Artisan’s Green, where the market was… Read more »